Tuesday, September 15, 2009

NO. 1 FEDERER LOOSES TO NO. 6 DEL POTRO

Juan Martin del Potro dethroned five-time defending champion Roger Federer 3-6, 7-6 (7/5), 4-6, 7-6 (7/4), 6-2 to capture the US Open on Monday, ending an era to win in his first Grand Slam final.

Having to watch it last night I thought it would be a cruise for world no. 1 Federer after cruising 3-6 in the first set, but at the middle of the second set you could feel the intensity of del Potro rising. Federer was two points from taking the second set in the 10th game before Del Potro fought back to break and took the tie-break to equalize.

"That one cost me the match maybe," Federer said. "I thought I had him under control for the first two sets. I was in a great position. If I had won that second set, I think I would have come through, but I didn't."

Federer struggled with his first-serve percentage, hitting only 50 percent for the match to 65 percent for Del Potro and converting only 5-of-22 break chances.

Del Potro fired 37 forehand winners, 17 more than Federer.

The loss ended Federer's 40 straight wins at Flushing Meadows and the quest to become the first person to win six straight titles at America's Grand Slam since Bill Tilden in the 1920s.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin